Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Feeling incompetent

You may be surprised that this isn't a familiar sensation for me.  However, my ill-guided pursuit of nerdiness, apparently, knows no bounds.

I'm currently pecking this out under a new keyboard layout, programmer Dvorak. While I felt that the dividends would validate the investment... I'm not so sure while travailed.
So, currently, I've progressed from a comfortable 60-70 wpm to a halting 10-15 and now I can't even find my number keys.  What I've discovered is some understanding of what illiteracy must feel like.  I can't communicate via type so I have found myself not typing.  My emails have become terse and my mood testy.  And worse of all, my muscle memory is confused; when I was on a different work computer today I couldn't even use a QWERTY keyboard with any dexterity.  

Maybe next time I have a crazy idea, I should write down my reasoning so I can remind myself why I'm doing it when I break something useful, like my ability to interact in our computing world.  I'm curious to see if I quit or if stubbornness will drive me to completion.