Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The OLD

I have spent the week with the "old friends," the guys I spent my high school and freshman year of college with. I hadn't ever realized so much about them as I have this week. I've come to understand that we are completely different people. I have realized that we have the "pretty boy", the "musician", and "Mr. Spontaneous." I don't think I can name myself... so I won't even try. I have realized that despite the changes that these fine men have influenced in my life, I have changed beyond what they can inspire in the 3.5 years since we have all been together. I feel like they haven't changed as much as I have, and that I am in a position where I can't expect or hope to interact with them all the time like I did in olden times, without losing some of my progress in life. It would be a lovely comfort zone, full of -- the same things I did in High School -- but wouldn't leave me fulfilled or progressing in life. I will always cherish and remember the fine experiences of my years with them, but I can't ever go back to them. I had always imagined that we would return to our norm, but maybe that is exactly what has happened, I just hadn't remembered the truth. Who knows? People change, maybe that is just the way it will always be. I guess I won't have to miss the days of yore anymore.

No comments: